Friday, 8 September 2006

Extra curricular education.

I am a huge fan of extra curricular education and the all the opportunities that the kids get through these. I am not in the least impressed with what Nick has come home with in the last couple of days though. Unfortunately through recent local events the main topic of news has involved criminal elements. Yesterday these culminated and Nick came home and told of us his latest learnings. I really do not care what it takes to get to the top in a gang, and I really don't want my children knowing what it takes either!

It wasn't until this morning as I drove to the gym that it really hit me what we had discussed the night before. Andy and I had a big talk when I got home about what we could do about it. The options are hugely limited as it is at school that this talk is all coming from. Unfortunately there are no other options for schooling unless we either homeschool or send the kids to boarding school. Neither of these are really options. We reiterated to Nick our conversation from last night about talking about all the things, good and bad that happen at school, and being aware of what is right and wrong. Hopefully, with ongoing reinforcement we will instill the good, and limit his exposure to the bad.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Yikes - that is disturbing! I guess that the only thing we can do is try to teach our kids right and wrong and hope they take it in. There are such scary things out there these days!

Michelle said...

So know what you mean! Just keeping making decisions for my kids that are safe on their behalf and sometimes the kids get angry when they hear no, but thats ok. No works for us

Anonymous said...

Good to convey to him the *good* and the *bad* so he can determine the difference.

Penny said...

Ugh - I'd be worried too.