Wednesday, 25 July 2007

Chicken and Tomato Casserole

Finally I am getting to add this recipe to my blog. Janine shared a delicious sounding butter chicken soup the other day and challenged everyone to share their favourite recipes. I have been dabbling with lots of recipes lately and have been trawling the Weight Watchers site checking out their ideas. We had this chicken and tomato casserole tonight and the boys cleaned up the whole lot - woohoo we will be having it again!

I made quite a few adaptations as it was supposed to be cooked in the oven but I ran out of time and cooked it in my huge frypan.

8 skinless chicken breasts - wow, I only used 4
1 onion, roughly chopped
110g lean bacon chopped
110g mushrooms - the boys don't like mushrooms so I used pitted olives instead
1 T tomato puree - oops never read that properly, I used the whole can
300ml chicken stock - again I used the whole 500ml carton

Brown the chicken, add the onions and bacons and brown these too. Add the chicken stock and tomato puree and bring to the boil. I drained the jar of olives now and added them too. I left the lid off and let it simmer about 40mins until it reduced quite a bit.

We had this with white rice and silverbeet. Gosh reading the recipe I left out heaps of stuff and added a heap of stuff that I wasn't supposed to. Oh well, if you are interested they also added 2 bay leaves and salt and pepper.

5 comments:

Roo said...

Sounds like my kind of meal - minus the mushrooms and the olives.

Sharon said...

Sounds yum!!

Anonymous said...

LOL easier to make modifications that to follow a recipe EXACTLY :) sounds like it worked out for your household :)

Penny said...

Sounds goodo :) Love mushies and olives so both are great additions. You made it your own.

Anonymous said...

sounds nice! Seeing how I've got Saturday nights dinner sorted, how about dropping it off on Sunday evening we how dinner, it'll save me cooking. LOL