Tuesday, 28 August 2007

Subject Choices

Tonight Ali and I sat down and went through his choices of subjects for next year. We have been working towards this for a few weeks now investigating different career options and which subjects will give him the most options. They have to take English, Maths and Science and then they have a choice of 3 other subjects for 5th form. His current choices are French and Graphics. He has not enjoyed French since we shifted - something to do with the teacher, so has decided to drop that subject, pick up Economics and continue with Graphics. The way he is leaning at the moment he is looking at two career paths in marketing and/or sales, and these two subjects seem to keep the most doors open for him. His third option is PE. Can't believe that isn't a standard part of the curriculum still.

His next task for the evening was to sell his choice of subjects to Andy and prove that he had done the research to back his decision. Very scary to think that Ali will be in the 5th form next year. Really starts making me wonder where on earth all those years have gone, especially those ones with the annoying toddler that I never thought would finish.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

well this post took me back. I wish I had given more thought back then to subjects and what I wanted to be. Sounds like he has made some good choices there.

Anonymous said...

what no PE? Goodness! Like his choices.

Sharon said...

He lasted longer than me at French LOL!! At least he has some idea of where he wants to be - I had no clue!!

Penny said...

Heh - I was GLAD when I didn't have to do PE ;-)

It's a tough time. I wish they didn't have to choose so soon to go down a particular path.

These days many people have at least 2 careers in their lifetime so don't let him get toooo stressed about it.

Jenny said...

Each year is a different milestone - I'm seeing that too. At our College, PE in YR 11 is compulsory but Phy Ed is a choice NCEA course